Can I Make Changes to My Wisconsin Divorce Decree?

The family law attorneys of Jane Probst Law Offices, S.C., can assist you if you need help modifying any part of your Wisconsin divorce decree.

Can Child or Spousal Support Be Modified?

If your ex-spouse pays child support and their income has increased, you may be able to petition the court to increase spousal and child support. On the other hand, if you are the payer of support and have lost your job or your pay has been substantially reduced, you may be able to decrease what you owe. Keep in mind that the Court can only modify support back to the date the other party received notice of the Motion to modify support, not the change in income, so it is important to file promptly if there are changes in your circumstances.

Modifications to Marital Property Division

With the possible exception of fraud or failure to disclose assets at the time of the initial decree, modifying property division is not permitted.

Modifying Wisconsin Child Custody and Placement Orders

More immediate changes may be made to child custody and placement arrangements if there has been a significant change in circumstances such as:

  • your ex-spouse is not following through on child custody and visitation arrangements and you need help enforcing the decree
  • a move to a new location makes the current custody and placement (visitation) arrangement infeasible
  • situations where the child’s safety and well-being are in question including a parent’s chemical dependency or criminal activity

Contact an Experienced Waukesha and Milwaukee Divorce Decree Lawyer for Help

If you have questions regarding changes to a Wisconsin divorce decree or the post judgement modifications in a divorce, contact the Waukesha and Milwaukee area Family Law Attorneys of Jane Probst Law Offices, S.C., for more information at 414-210-3135.